Potato Cheddar Cheese Beer Soup – Delicious creamy soup boasting flavor from beer, potatoes and cheddar cheese. Serve these traditional style or in a pretzel bowl. Either way you’re sure to love them!
I’ve been wanting to make a beer soup for a while now. And I thought it would pair up deliciously with pretzel bread bowls. Oh yeah! Of course it did. It was a perfect pair. As perfect as peanut butter and jelly or hotdogs and mustard.
Look at this scrumptiousness! ↓
You’re drooling aren’t you? I can tell by the look in your eyes. I do have a disclaimer for you.
I don’t drink beer. I don’t like beer. But I love beer bread so I’ve been just dying to try a beer soup. We’re such soup fans that it was bound to happen sooner or later.
And can you truly believe that I haven’t posted a soup recipe since November? There’s just something wrong with that! We’ve still been eating soup weekly but I’ve made a lot of past favorites like chicken pot pie and ham soup.
One of the favorites here on the blog recently is the Cheese Topped Creamy Cauliflower Soup. I don’t know about you but every time I hear those words together…creamy and cheese….my belly just starts growling. I hear it now. Signing off friends and looking for a spoon. Won’t you come over and join me?
Til we meet and eat again,
Other winning recipes from blogger friends:
Potato Cheddar Cheese Beer Soup
- 1/2 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk or half and half
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz beer
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
- In a dutch oven or large saucepan cook onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in butter over medium-low heat. Stirring occasionally. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and sprinkle flour over vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes. Add milk, broth, and beer in a stream, whisking as you add. Simmer, continuing to whisk occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add cheese about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Cook until cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes (do not boil). Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with bacon.
Recipe adapted from: Epicurious
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.