Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup – Cheesy broccoli soup recipe has broccoli flowerets, potatoes, sharp cheddar cheese and vegetables for a comforting bowl of yum.
This delicious broccoli potato cheddar cheese soup recipe has been enjoyed by my family many times over the last few years since I spotted it on Skinny Taste’s blog. It is all the goodness of cheesy broccoli soup. But I love the addition of potatoes. I feel less like I’m being cheated out of a meat dish and I’m quite satisfied to chow down on this for lunch or dinner. And so is my family.
My kids get really excited when I tell them we’re having these soup. I’m not sure why, but it’s definitely a family favorite.
And I have to apologize. I’ve been sharing soups for years and I’ve never shared this one. So please accept my humble apology and with that I offer you a golden opportunity. Run to your kitchen and make this. As I type this up it’s rainy and dreary. It’s a 3-day rain streak. Boo-hoo! Those days are hard. But it’s the little things like my cozy lit candles, fresh bread and scrumptious soups, like this that make the day just a little brighter and better.
I actually tried to convince my husband this morning to take a personal day. I was like “C’mon babe. Just me and you and junk food and re-runs of The Office. It will be amazing!” I told sold him on it. Or so I thought. He went to work. I’m not really great at this convincing thing, am I? Pointers and tips welcome. 😉
Next time I suppose I could just lock the doors and lure him back with this Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup or this Beef Barley Mushroom Soup, which happens to be his absolute favorite soup.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalk chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 5 cups less-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and diced small
- 8 cups about 2 heads broccoli florets, chopped small
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or small stockpot.
- Add chopped onions, carrots and celery. Sauté on low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic. Stir and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper to the pot. Mix and stir.
- Slowly add chicken broth, milk and potatoes. Turn heat to high until it comes to a boil. Cover and continue to cook on low until potatoes are softened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli florets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook uncovered until broccoli is cooked, about 5 minutes. Add cheddar and stir until cheese is melted.
- If you prefer a smooth consistency, blend with an immersion blender.
Recipe adapted slightly from: Skinny Taste
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.