Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes – How to make cheesy scalloped potatoes from scratch. Homemade creamy cheese sauce, this is a great side dish with any holiday meal.
They’re a favorite in our house for sure. So is everything with cheese. We always have at least 4 varieties of cheese on hand. Some of our favorites are Muenster, Parmesan, Sharp Cheddar and Monterey Jack. What about you? What are your favorite cheeses? I know there’s so many it makes your head spin.
So since we REALLY like our cheese and because we really like potatoes it totally makes sense to combine them in various ways. Here’s a recipe that I tried around the holidays and enjoyed. Of course, I’ve made scalloped potatoes many times before but had not tried America’s Test Kitchen recipe. This one in particular is from Best American Side Dishes.
I was pleased with the results and thought I’d share them with you. I have fallen in love with America’s Test Kitchen cookbooks. They’re are so many good ones that I’d love to own but I don’t currently have the funds for. So I fully take advantage of the library. I’ll borrow them, renew them, return them and borrow them again. Looks like I’m the only who likes to borrow them so it works to my advantage. 😉
But if I go back to the library and my book is gone, I’ll know why. I spilled the beans and you totally stole my idea. Hey, it’s my fault for letting you in on my secret. So, I won’t blame you.
Now go make yourself these lovely potatoes and have a great day!
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 4 lbs russet potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until foaming subsides, about 1 minute. Add onion and sauté until it turns soft and translucent about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add half and half, milk, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and potatoes and bring to simmer.
- Cover pot and maintain a light simmer, and cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Transfer potato mixture to 3-quart baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until the cream has thickened and is bubbling around sides and the top is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Adapted slightly from America’s Best Side Dishes
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.