Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls. – Cinnamon like buns made with homemade dough. Fresh cranberries combined with delicious orange marmalade. Sunshine for your Christmas morning, these bake up beautifully.
I will admit to you straight from the gate: Ask me 10 years ago if I wanted a cranberry orange bun and I would have turned you down and my nose up. Cranberries just never appealed to me at all. Fast forward 8 years or so and I absolutely love them.
I came up with this brilliant idea recently but really wanted to incorporate fresh cranberries and orange into them. So I just some inspiration from Smitten Kitchen. She processed the cranberries in the food processor. That look perfect but I was sure about the orange part yet. Then I remembered I got a steal deal on Smucker’s all natural Orange Marmalade.
Cinnamon rolls and buns are one of my favorite indulgent treats to make. And they always grace our table on Christmas morning. They’re special and the deserve a place at the Christmas feast. I think this will be on the table this year too. Everyone seems to love it!
Together I thought this might be good. Well let me tell you first hand. It is GOOD, my friends! Combining these two ingredients and rolling them up left a bite of tart amongst a bed of soft dough topped with a warm glaze. My mouth was singing for joy!
My 12 year old came home from school shortly later and I offered him one. As expected he turned up his nose at the thought of cranberries but agreed to try one. He turned to me after 2 bites and said, “These are way better than I expected. And I mean that in a good way, Mom.” That’s what I love to hear my son. (((happy momma)))
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG : Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
Cranberry Orange Sweet Rolls
- 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- 3/4 cup orange marmalade I used Smucker's all natural
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest optional
- Combine all dough ingredients in the order listed in a large mixing bowl fitted with dough hook. Knead until fully combined and silky, about 3-5 minutes. Dough will be soft.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Press dough down gently. Pat it down or roll it into a 14" x 12" rectangle. Spread orange marmalade evenly oven dough. Pulse cranberries in a food processor until they're very finely minced. Spread over orange marmalade. Leaving a 2" space along one long side. (This will allow the dough to be pinched together better. If it's wet from the jelly it won't pinch together.)
- Roll into a log form starting with short side. Cut into 9 or 10 even slices. Place in a lightly greased 9" square or 11" x 7" rectangle pan. Cover and let rise until puffy, about 45 - 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until golden brown around edges. Tent with foil if browning too quickly.
- In a small bowl combine and stir confectioner's sugar with orange juice, vanilla extract and orange zest (optional). Stir until smooth. Spread over warm rolls. Serve warm.
May be frozen for longer storage. Wrap well and place in freezer for up to 1 month.
Dough adapted slightly from: King Arthur Flour
Filling inspiration from: Smitten Kitchen
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.