Skillet Pizza with Pesto Tomatoes and Spinach – Homemade pizza pie dough made in cast iron skillet with fresh pesto, tomato, and spinach toppings. Ready for Friday pizza night with these garden-fresh ingredients.
This recipe is sponsored by Red Star Yeast. Opinions are my own.
Today we’re gathered together for pizza. Pizza gets a food category all on its own in my opinion. It’s most likely my favorite food of ALL time. I can’t help myself. Ask my kids. Pizza is my Friday night comfort. It’s my lunch when I’m blue. And it’s my reward when I ran my first half marathon.
I’m excited to partner with Red Star Yeast to bring you this fresh pizza from oven to table in all its homemade beauty.
This pizza pie starts with homemade dough. Don’t be intimidated. Much easier than it looks. Plus the skillet makes it easy to pat in. It doesn’t have to be perfect. That’s the beauty in the skillet pizza.
I heart fun pizza creations and this is one of them. Pesto is such a game changer in the kitchen. You can do so much with it!
Pizza and pesto go together REAL good! Plus we’ve got the added flavors here of fresh chopped spinach and freshly sliced tomatoes. This pizza is garden inspired but ready to rock and roll all year long.
Plus you add a bed of delicious cheese or cheeses like mozzarella and provolone. Or feel free to substitute your favorite cheeses here.
Thanks for supporting the brands that support Gather for Bread.
Be sure to connect with Red Star Yeast on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google Plus
Have a great week! Hope it’s filled with good food and your favorite people around the table.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG: Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post may contain affiliate links for which we get a small portion to help support this blog.
© GATHER FOR BREAD. All images & content are copyright protected. Please follow my Sharing Policy if you would like to use or share any part of this post.
Skillet Pizza with Pesto, Tomatoes and Spinach
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 package Red Star Platinum Yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
For Prepping Pan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 4 ounces prepared pesto
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes sliced
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Pour the water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Sprinkle the PLATINUM yeast on top and allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the all-purpose flour, bread flour, olive oil, and salt. Mix the ingredients until everything comes together.
- Switch to the dough hook. Knead until you have a soft, smooth dough. (See video) about 5-6 minutes at medium speed. The dough should clear the sides of the bowl but slightly stick to the bottom of the bowl.
- Grease a large bowl with a few drops of olive oil, add the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let it rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450. I like to have the oven preheating for about 20 minutes before I bake the pizza.
- Using a 12-inch oven safe skillet (I used cast iron), sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Preheat the skillet on the stove over medium-high heat on the stove top.
- Split dough in half. (Makes enough for 2 pizza pies.) Pat dough with a bit of flour and shape into a large circle.
- Sprinkle flour and cornmeal into the skillet.Place the dough into the greased and floured skillet. Spread it on the bottom of the skillet with your fingers. Pull it up the sides a bit.
- Spread pesto over crust. Sprinkle with spinach leaves, tomato slices and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden brown.
You may also enjoy:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.