Best Chocolate Cake Coconut Buttercream – Absolute best chocolate cake, moist, easy and amazing and frosted with a homemade from scratch coconut buttercream icing. Chocolate and coconut lovers dream dessert!
Today we’re celebrating. And there’s no better way to celebrate than with cake, right?! I’m making it an extra special with 2 of my favorite flavors in the whole wide world. Chocolate and Coconut. They’re a dreamy combination in my humble opinion. And I’ve got lots of recipes too prove it. Like these decadent muffins or these delicate scones or this fun Christmas treat.
But let’s get back to cake. Today is National Cake Day. I don’t celebrate all the FOODIE holidays, but when cake is involved, I’m there wholeheartedly!
This cake has been in the running to make it to the blog for some time right now. And now I’m super pleased that it’s made it’s arrival and it’s here to stay.
Til we meet and eat again,
FOLLOW ALONG: Gather for Bread
Be sure to sign up for our emails so you don’t miss the latest recipes! ⇒ Sign up here. ⇐
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and purchase we get a small portion to help support our blog.
Best Chocolate Cake with Coconut Buttercream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup milk I used 2%
- 1/2 cup canola, vegetable oil or coconut oil I used coconut
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For Buttercream Frosting
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 4-6 tablespoons canned coconut milk (shaken)
For Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Using two 9-inch cake pans, spray with baking spray or grease and flour. ( I use cocoa powder to 'flour' when I am making a chocolate cake.)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, stir to combine.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture. Mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of the chocolate cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
For Buttercream Frosting
- In a mixing bowl combine butter and powdered sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on low. Stir in coconut extract and 3 tablespoons coconut milk. Gradually beat in extra milk 1 tablespoon at a time if necessary to make a smooth frosting.
Cake recipe from Add a Pinch
And it’s time for this month’s Food Holiday – today is National Cake Day! And Cake is the perfect way to celebrate. Let’s do this!
BEST Chocolate Cake with Coconut Buttercream – Here
Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cake – Ashlee Marie
Gingerbread Spice Cake– Life Made Simple
Fudgy Grasshopper Cake – Creations by Kara
Vegan Ginger Pear Bundt Cake – Namely Marly
Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake – Foodie with Family
Cranberry Pound Cake -Real Mom Kitchen
Instant Pot Peanut But Cup Cheesecake – 365 Days of Slow Cooking
Other Gather for Bread Cake Recipes
Other Blogger Cake Recipes
The Most Amazing White Cake Recipe – Stay at Home Chef
Homemade Strawberry Cake Recipe – Tastes of Lizzy T
Black Forest Cake – Baking a Moment
World’s Best Cake – Sweet Paul Magazine
You may also like:
Join the newsletter
Get your FREE copy of Irresistible Bread Recipes when you sign up to receive our emails.